Fino al 15/02, usa il codice adv15 per ottenere lo sconto del 15% sui corsi VINE PRUNER Advanced.

Cordone green pruning questions

• Cordone green pruning questions

• Tecla

30 Maggio 2022 at 22:54

Hello everyone!

I have 2 questions:

1. On the 2 enclosed pictures you see Parellada, 12 years old (vineyard in Queretaro, Mexico). As you can see, the shoots didn’t develop very well, there doesn’t seem to be a lot of energy. Also, some of the spurs didn’t sprout. What are the most common reasons and how to improve?

2. Is there a guidebook or website that you can recommend which grape variety is suitable for which training system and with how many buds you should prune that variety (f.e. some white varieties require 4 buds)?

Grazie mille, Tecla

• TEAM VMP ACADEMY

Organizer
    3 Giugno 2022 at 12:15

Hi Tecla,

About no.1, could you please take some more picture on this situation, also spurs with shoots if you have them. Try to open not developed buds\spurs. Are the spurs totally dry? Are there inside the buds some brune\necrotic tissues?

It seems, by looking at the old spurs, the plant has affected by a strong acrotony. If you notice in past this plant was pruned with 3 or more buds per spur, this resulted in uncontrolled and fast branching development.

The variety probably needs short pruning (for ex. 1 bud+bourillon or 2 buds).

For question no.2, you could check here, it is a website cured by Inra and SupAgro (France)

https://plantgrape.plantnet-project.org/en/cepage/Parellada

• Tecla

7 Giugno 2022 at 19:40

Hello again,

My apologies since it took a little while to get some more pictures but here they are. It’s correct that in the past, pruning was done with 3+ buds and pruning was done the traditional way, including some big cuts on the arms. This year we reduced to 2 buds and followed S&S principles so I hope the plants will recover. In the Tempranillo and Parellada there was also a problem with ants who caused some plants to completely die. They say ants are attracted especially to Tempranillo and Parellada because the sap is very sweet.

As you can see from enclosed pictures, the plants (all Parellada) differ a lot in development and problems.

-Some plants developed fine, some developed miserably, and some developed one side, other side nothing. Some spurs were completely dead, others did not sprout but when cutting 1 bud on the spur, the wood was green.

Thank you so much for your help!

Tecla

• TEAM VMP ACADEMY

Organizer
    14 Giugno 2022 at 14:13

Hello Tecla. It seems a decay. The reason probably is a trunk disease. Maybe the ants are just living in dead wood tissues?

Why don’t you open the simptomatic plants? Try to check the wood inside and if you can notice black or white spongy tissue.

Open them starting from big cuts. Maybe why will find out they are the trunk diseases entry points…

• Tecla

20 Giugno 2022 at 06:55

Buongiorno!

Thank you so much for the tips.

During last year’s winter pruning I didn’t notice any black or white spongy tissue. I’m currently not at the vineyard in Mexico (I’m actually visiting your campus right now :)) but will return in February. May I reach out to you again at that time so that I can send more detailed and specific pictures and answers? Thank you so much for your help so far! Tecla

• TEAM VMP ACADEMY

Organizer
    20 Giugno 2022 at 09:38

Sure! We’ll be happy to help and support you, in every moment. And we are glad you are enjoying our campus. Have a nice time!

Original Post
0 di 0 posts June 2018
Now